Friday, July 13, 2007

computer "science"

I'm the architect of a mobile software company in Denver, CO. I've quite a few years in industry, nearly 10, writing everything from low level drivers, full blown enterprise software on Solaris in C++, IL based real time distributed software for health care claims processing backed by AI engines in Lisp, to shell scripts. I'm finding myself very frustrated these days when I meet new developers coming out of school. The education system seems to be focusing more on industry trend and less on design and understanding. It's about time we get back to fundamentals... b/c let's face it, there is nothing new under the sun save the virtual mapping of omega network resources across multiple machines in a virtual cluster (which has been going on for over a decade) and larger accessible memory. Everything comes down to a lowest common denominator and when students don't know how to work with that lowest common denominator things fails. I'm finding tons of people have no clue how IL works, why it works the way it does, why the way it works offers other intrinsic benefits to development (a single level of indirection has cured all of the problems in computer science -- this of course was in reference to the pointer and the reference ). Can we really call ourselves computer scientists if we don't understand what is occurring at the most basic of levels?

2 comments:

Robin said...

What the hell is IL???

Unknown said...

I'm on commenting on my own blog, I know that that seems pathetic but if anyone out there has read this posting then you'll find the following post interesting

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/01/08.html