Wednesday, March 31, 2010

CNBC and remote collaboration

As of yesterday I accepted a position with CNBC as the head of platform development. My ultimate personal goal in the team is to increase the stability and efficiency of the development through standardized process and practice (continuous integration, release cycles, change management, domain driven development).

CNBC is a Java shop currently focused mostly on web services exposed via Tomcat. I’m personally more a fan of moving towards app servers (JBoss or Glassfish) exposing EJB Stateless Session Beans internally and web services externally .... possibly backed by a lightweight, fast localized db (berkeley).

This will be a great opportunity to get back into the Java realm considering I’ve been in the .NET and C++ realm for as long as I have. I will be looking forward to keeping my .NET skills honed via my own projects and collaboration initiatives (Solace SCM -- really need to get that done and it looks like I’ll have some time here soon while in NYC).

One of the things that I really need to identify is a remote collaboration solution, a good wiki solution, a good team collaboration solution -- all preferably open source. After speaking to a friend about sharing remote white boards he mentioned they tried something at cisco with 2 camera, 2 projectors, 2 whiteboards and polarization filters. Brilliant. But I’m going to need a drawing solution that I can do UML on, share over webex and save to JPEG (hopefully works over USB).

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions going into this position I am all ears.

No comments: